Saturday, January 3, 2015

Baseball Stadiums: 2015 Resolutions

Last year I made resolutions to visit some Minor League Baseball stadiums and wrote about those resolutions on this blog (read the post here) and recapped my success-failure, too (read post here).  So I decided that I would make some resolutions for 2015, and detail them here, too.

Without further ado, my 2015 MiLB travel resolutions are...
Annually since 2010, I attend the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers.  The 2015 conference is in Chicago, and I plan to attend a White Sox game while in town.  Finding an MiLB game nearby is a bit more difficult, but the Kane County Cougars are only about an hour drive from downtown Chicago.  So I'm planning to rent a car and make the drive out there, and hopefully meet a blogger I've been following during the past year.

Over the past year I've started to read more blogs about Minor League Baseball, and now follow Craig Wieczorkiewicz.  Craig writes The Midwest League Traveler blog, and tweets extensively about former and current players with connections to the league.  I have only interacted with him via Twitter, but look forward to watching a game with him and discussing our mutual interests of attending Minor League Baseball games.
In 2014, I attended a Nashville Sounds game at Greer Stadium during its final season (read the post here).  After years of negotiations and many failed efforts, the Sounds will finally move into a new stadium this season.  I've never specifically trekked to a stadium during its opening season, but Nashville is one of my favorite cities so I am looking forward to planning an excursion.
Since 2010, I have traveled to Cincinnati to participate in the AP Human Geography Reading, and twice I've been lucky enough to get together with my friend Mike Bradley, who is a leisure studies professor at Eastern Kentucky University.  He's invited me to spend a few days in Lexington, where he lives, so I'm aiming to spend a few days in the Bluegrass region after completing my work before I return to Alabama.  I attended the University of Kentucky for two years in the mid-90s, and rumors circled about Lexington getting a Minor League team but it did not come to fruition until the 2000s.  So I've never seen a Lexington Legends game.
Last year I resolved to see all four Georgia teams, and succeeded in only seeing one of them - the Gwinnett Braves (read the post here).  I'm optimistic that I can accomplish this resolution because I will not be held down working on a dissertation this coming summer.  I'll probably work on some kind of research this summer, but I'll feel more free to travel without the weight of a dissertation hanging over my head.

No comments: