Monday, September 8, 2014

Baseball Stadiums: MLB Mascot Mayhem

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to write about my experience with baseball mascots.  While I don't have a lot of pictures with Major League Baseball mascots, I decided it would be easier to divide MLB mascots from Minor League Baseball mascots.

Over the past three years I've gone to more Minor League games than I have Major League games, so my collection of mascot photos leans heavily toward Minor League mascots.  I can also say from experience attending Major League games for over 25 years that MLB mascots are not as accessible as MiLB mascots.

So far, I only have pictures with three MLB mascots, and two are with the same team.

The first MLB mascots I got a picture with is now retired, as the Houston Astros changed their team colors, uniform, and sent Junction Jack off to retirement in 2013.  However, in 2011 I went to Houston to attend a Georgia State football game, and I went to an Astros game where I got my photograph with the rabbit.

Me with Junction Jack in a section of the Bullpen Box seats.

Since 2011, I have participated as a reader for the AP Human Geography exam.  The reading takes place in Cincinnati, Ohio, so I've gotten my photo taken with two of the Cincinnati Reds' mascots.

In 2012, I got a photo with my first Reds mascot: Rosie Red.  I was walking around the Fan Zone beyond right field.

Me with Rosie Red.

In 2013, I dined in the Riverfront Club with a bunch of fellow AP readers.  As it turned out Mr. Redlegs stopped by the club.  So I don't have an individual photo with him, but I do have a group picture with him.

A bunch of geographers with Mr. Redlegs.

It's not much of a collection, but it's a start.

No comments: